May 22, 2026

The African Tribune

Bold, independent reporting on Africa's most important stories, in English, every day.

Casemiro to leave Manchester United after emotional farewell

Manchester United’s interim manager, Michael Carrick, has announced that midfielder Casemiro will not feature in the club’s final Premier League fixture of the season against Brighton. The Brazilian star, whose departure has been the subject of intense speculation, played his last game for the Red Devils in last weekend’s 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest.

End of an era at Old Trafford

Carrick confirmed that both he and Casemiro mutually agreed the Brazilian’s final match would be against Nottingham Forest. Reflecting on the emotional send-off, Carrick stated, « We had agreed that last week would be his last game. I think it went as well as we could have hoped, and he was fantastic. I’ve already spoken about what he’s brought to my team since I arrived, and to the club as a whole. Yes, there was a mutual understanding that this was the right time for him to move on. »

Arriving from Real Madrid in a high-profile deal reportedly worth up to £70 million in 2022, Casemiro leaves Manchester United having secured a crucial third-place finish in the Premier League, ensuring Champions League football next season.

Inter Miami emerges as Casemiro’s likely next destination

Reports of Casemiro’s potential move to Major League Soccer have gained momentum, with Inter Miami seemingly poised to sign the free agent this summer. The Brazilian international, who has spent four seasons at Old Trafford, is said to be eager to trade the rigors of English football for the Florida sunshine.

Carrick revealed that Casemiro played an active role in the decision regarding his absence from the Brighton game, emphasizing the timing was right for both player and club. « I think it was just the right time for Case. He had a part to play in that decision. There was a question of balance for the final matchday. We’re not done yet—this season isn’t over for us, and we’re fully aware of that, » he added.

Carrick’s future at Manchester United in focus

The confirmation of Casemiro’s departure has shifted attention to Carrick’s own future at the helm. After stepping in impressively as interim manager, the club legend is widely expected to be handed a permanent contract. While no official announcement has been made, Carrick hinted that fans won’t have to wait much longer for clarity.

« We said it would be at the end of the season, didn’t we? We’re not far off—just a few days away now. I told you the other day that things would become clearer soon, and they will. For now, though, I can’t say more, » he commented with a smile.

United’s final preparations ahead of Brighton clash

With the season drawing to a close, Manchester United are in good shape ahead of their last league fixture, though Carrick confirmed one defensive stalwart will miss out. Dutch defender Matthijs de Ligt remains sidelined following back surgery, but there’s a positive update regarding Slovenian striker Benjamin Sesko, who is expected to return to the squad.

The Red Devils face a Brighton side desperate to secure a European spot, while Carrick’s men are already guaranteed a top-three finish and next season’s Champions League football. The stage is set for a dramatic finale at Old Trafford.